Re: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat
From: Jos Okhuijsen <josoke@ukolo.fi>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 13:59:22

Hi Svein,

I have been quit and waiting for somebody else to show his wisdom. It does
not come so i'll jump in with our solution
here in Finland. It does away with the oil cooler completely and
introduces an oil/water heat exchanger. That together with a water
thermostat should keep the temps up. And because the waer temp raises
quicker, it will heat the oil. It also adds an electrical water heater, so
that the whole engine will be warm before start. The idea is from the
Finnish rotax agent. The website is http://www.aerotecno.fi

As far as i know this has not been flight tested, but the numbers seem to
add up. In a hot summer the trouble spot could be the water radiator,
because it will have to be able to absorb the heat energy of the oil too.
But then again, if the original design, with the water and oil coolers in
the same airstream works, there is no real difference. Or even better,
because the airstream through the water radiator is not restricted by the
oil cooler anymore. W'll see in half a year or so.. I've got some pictures
somewhere if needed.

Plans are to add a flap in the cooling duct, but as a beginner i do not
want more workload in the cockpit. Later,maybe.

--
Kind Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen

workshopcam http://www.okhuijsen.org/plane
http:www.europaowners.org/kit600
mono xs, top on, gear in, tail wheel in, wings set, flapdrive in, tail
closed, tailwheel in, tail top in, blue stuff filled, sanded and primed,
fuel system in, doors done, windows in, sanding and filling the fuse and
wings.