Re: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat
From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 22:27:36

Why has the Europa such a huge duct and all those other openings ? I see
pictures of many other 9xx powered aircraft with just one or two small
openings (i.e. CT).  What I would like is a variable opening at the bottom
of the cowl with a louvred door. Open it wide when climbing, scooping in
masses of air when drag is not an issue,  and close it in the cruise.

Karl

>From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@ac-grenoble.fr>
>To: europa-list@matronics.com
>Subject: Re: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat
>Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:48:48 +0100
>
><Gilles.Thesee@ac-grenoble.fr>
>
>Svein and all,
>
>>  From that perspective baffles/part-covers in front of the coolers would
>>be better, especially if I could make them in-flight adjustable (which I
>>can if I wish). The issue is how best to arrange it.
>
>It is best to place a flap at the exit of the cowl/radiator duct.
>Placing an obstruction in the front destroys dynamic pressure. An we need
>to recover as much pressure as we can to persuade the air to flow across
>the rad core.
>A carefully designed diffuser is key.
>Having a large hole with partly covered radiators inside, is like having a
>deployed air-brake.
>
>And we don't need a permanent air-brake, do we ?
>
>Regards,
>Gilles Thesee
>Grenoble, France
>http://contrails.free.fr

Windows Live Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free!