Re: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:48:48

Svein and all,

> From that perspective baffles/part-covers in front of the coolers
> would be better, especially if I could make them in-flight adjustable
> (which I can if I wish).
> The issue is how best to arrange it.

It is best to place a flap at the exit of the cowl/radiator duct.
Placing an obstruction in the front destroys dynamic pressure. An we
need to recover as much pressure as we can to persuade the air to flow
across the rad core.
A carefully designed diffuser is key.
Having a large hole with partly covered radiators inside, is like having
a deployed air-brake.

And we don't need a permanent air-brake, do we ?

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
http://contrails.free.fr