Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat

Subject: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat
From: Sidsel & Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:33:56
Thank you very much to all who responded to my questions regarding oil
cooler thermostat.  What is noticeable, however, is that it appears that
few have actually installed a thermostat.

I favour a thermostat from the point of "automatic" operation, but
realize that "anything that can go wrong will go wrong".  Has anyone
checked their favoured thermostat make with manufacturer/supplier
regarding reliability?

>From that perspective baffles/part-covers in front of the coolers would
be better, especially if I could make them in-flight adjustable (which I
can if I wish).
The issue is how best to arrange it.  With +2- +5 degr C OAT, I barely
hit 95 C oil temp on top of climb from 360 to 2500 ft and only 65-70 C
in level cruise.  Cyl head temp reaches 105 C dropping to 80-90 C.  This
is with all of the 2 inch of oil cooler below water cooler shielded by
alu plate and 50% of water cooler with rest of oil cooler behind also
covered.  The rest of the cooler area I would really like to keep open
due to the cabin heat warm air collector behind.  Will only get lower
temps as the winter approaches, of course.  Both oil temp and CHT gauges
checked for correct readings.   Hmmmm - - - -.

Best regards,
Svein
LN-SKJ