Re: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 14:08:32

Svein and all,

> Lockwood sells an oil cooler thermostat, presumably suitable for Rotax
> 912S.
>
> - Anyone with good experience using this to keep oil temp acceptably
> high (problem at my latitudes)?

> - Any good alternatives?

The Rotax dealers are now selling oil thermostats for the Rotax engines.
One should be aware that using an oil thermostat involves  taking  in
more cooling air than  necessary,  and  diverting  oil from the oil
cooler when not in the warmest conditions.
In addition to the extra weight, permanently taking in more air means
flying with the maximum possible cooling drag for the entire life of the
aircraft.

Dyn'Aero went this way for their 914 MCR glider tow : at towing speeds
drag is not really a problem, and repeated quick descents to land may
lead to overcooling.

If performance is key, it is simpler, lighter, and safer to use a
properly designed cowl flap. Less cooling air into the radiators means
less drag. This is what I chose for our four-seater project :
http://contrails.free.fr/tunnel.php
http://contrails.free.fr/engine_aerodyn_radia.php

Reducing drag is really worth some consideration with a clean aircraft.

Best regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr