Re: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 23:48:17

Karl,

> Why has the Europa such a huge duct and all those other openings ?

Maybe they are in need of some improvement in this area ?
Since Europas can be as fast as our airplane, there is no reason why
they should have larger ducts with the same engine.

> I see pictures of many other 9xx powered aircraft with just one or two
> small openings (i.e. CT).  What I would like is a variable opening at
> the bottom of the cowl with a louvred door. Open it wide when
> climbing, scooping in masses of air when drag is not an issue,  and
> close it in the cruise.

That's the way a proper cooling setup is engineered. Be careful not to
open wider than necessary : you only add drag, think of the LongEZ
ventral flap.

Best regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr