Re: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:01:26

Raimo,

> ALL water cooled engines should also
> have water thermostat. That is a matter
> of course in cars

The operational conditions are not the same : cars are designed to run
for hours at low speed. They've got plenty of room to install wide and
shallow radiator cores, with huge batteries to run powerful fans. They
don't have weight or aerodynamical limitations (but should).

>   - why not in planes
> with water cooled engines also?

Planes are creating a pretty fair breeze of their own. They have weight
and reliability  constraints. Designing a proper cooling ducts means
recovering some of the cooling drag, instead of wasting it and adding
fans, by-passes, etc. to try and maintain correct temps.
Drag and weight reduction means improved fuel efficiency, take-off and
climb performance, better cruise, etc...
The cleaner the airplane, the greater the effect of even a small drag
reduction.

Our airplane has a clean and reliable engine installation, with adequate
cooling whatever the conditions. We can always choose our target engine
and oil temps.
No obstructions, no thermostat, extra plumbing, fittings, etc...
Just a good understanding of internal flow, and a well designed duct and
flap.

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France