RE: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 08:03:30
Hi! Paul/ Duncan.
Thanks for the message below. Even without any gills but with the Jabiru
arrangement I had no such thing as cable tie meltdown. The nearest sign
I had was some "spirowrap" which ran under the exhaust manifolds. As I
said I believe the presence of the gills in flight allows the upper cowl
pressure to reduce so discouraging the downward cooling flow. If the
gills were added to allow residual cooling after shutdown it would be
simpler to open the top access panels immediately on shut down. I have
ordered "the fibre glass engine cooling hood" on my engine which should
also assist in preventing the heat build up in the cowl top and I expect
my intercooler air to assist with cowl top cooling too. I would have
expected the Jabiru being fully air cooled to have far more residual
heat to dissipate on shutdown anyway and since I didn't have a problem
then I will leave the gills on my new cowls closed, unless I get some
more feedback against.
I've not had a rattling response on the question
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG