Re: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat
From: Belinda Glover <belinda@gloverb.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 16:05:43
Hi Bob,

Since you know all about my "Flying for Fun" accident already, just a
word of WARNING for others reading this thread.

Don't try closing the gills if you fly an NSI Subaru in a Europa. This
PFA "Approved" installation, even with the standard gills the cooling to
the alternator is wholly inadequate and can kill you. This has now fried
2 alternator bearings out of 10 examples in the U.K. I can't find any
U.S examples of such an incident so it looks like a thoroughly home
grown U.K. installation problem.

The alternator seizure would be only a minor inconvenience were it not
for the fact that the dual drive belts as "Approved" then fill the
cockpit with thick smoke before stopping the engine via the braking
effect on the crankshaft drive pulley and the "Approved" propeller then
goes in to full disk drag freewheeling mode providing an earlier
opportunity for a forced landing than you ever bargained for with a
descent deck angle of about 20 degrees and rate of 1700ft/min and with
the all flying"now no longer flying" tailplane allowing you to slap the
stick from stop to stop on the way down as you relearn how to fly the
crippled airframe. All this of course negating any amount of practice
forced landings you were forced to do before being allowed to test fly
the creation yourself and which were so misrepresentative as to have
best been avoided completely !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been there done that got the T-shirt just like Bill Wynne who had it
happen first but sadly his incident was never subsequently properly
investigated. It will be now though my wreckage is with the AAIB at
Farnborough.

I am still trying to find out if "Approved"  for regulatory end users
means anything other than you are "Approved" to go and be our
installation test pilot with a passenger, oh and in case you survive
please report any testing we might have overlooked !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Despite the direct question having been twice posed to the PFA, by me
and the AAIB so far no cigar!!!!!!!!!!!

Ironically, I just applied for the PFA airworthiness engineer job, which
I thought might have even come about because of our near death
experience. I just received a response having heard nothing for a
fortnight as follows;
" Unfortunately you were not short listed for the initial interviews".
That is despite going and asking if I would be wasting my time preparing
a C.V. before hand!

Incedently our Europa callsign was G-BWCV abbreviated to 'CV. Obviously
our recent ridiculous incident was not deemed the right sort of 'CV for
that particular job.

So look outl for the AAIB report coming out soon if you realy want a
case study in how not to do it!!!!!

If anybody thought "Approved" in the regulatory end user context was a
verb implying knowledge or understanding and testing to a standard at
least minimally fit for purpose like I did, think again.

Like most things these days you end up having to do other peoples jobs
for them whilst in the case of the regulators they tie both hands behind
your back when you try to do your own.

Regards
Gary McKirdy