Re: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat
From: Duncan & Ami McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 22:56:05
Probably not much, other than to  create a disproportionately large
amount of drag. There must be a huge plume of air coming out of these
gills that destroys the airflow down the sides of the fuselage.

I had a nice photo of an oil streak on Williams Europa, showing flow
reversal just aft of the gills. Conversion of the gills to a rear-facing
exit may prove beneficial (to reducing cooling drag), although care
needed to ensure fuselage composite not overheated. I have the moulds
for such a mod., but never tried it out.

The detailing on Daryl Greenermeyer's Reno Legacy shows the way to go.

Duncan McF