Re: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 23:01:25

Dear Gilles!

> The operational conditions are not the same : cars are designed to run
> for hours at low speed. They've got plenty of room to install wide and
> shallow radiator cores, with huge batteries to run powerful fans. They
> don't have weight or aerodynamical limitations (but should).

I demand I am able to fly at any speed at any outside temperature
as long as I like (within Europa limits of course).
Like 50 knots @ -30C 5 hours. Or full power @ +40C.
If it happens to make me happy.
Just like I do with my cars.
And all modern cars do have strictly weight and aerodynamical limits!
They must be sleek for fuel efficiency and light enough to compensate
all the necessary and "necessary" equipments

In early days there were manual flaps and cowls also in cars.
There were also magnetos, carburrettors, adjustable mixture and
ignition, hand operated turning lights etc. I am happy these are not
reality any more. Some people think grandfathers ideas are some kind
of Value and they all must be found in flying apparatus. Thermostat is
not so new idea, but water cooling is (in planes). Why should we start
at the bottom again?  Like invent a wheel again.

Who is happy when leaning manually in Cessna? It is always a little
risk and if not, it is bad also. In early days they say there was an engine
man per engine in a plane. Fun? I am alone and would like fly, no
playing games with flaps and being worried is it OK or not.

Think: its minus 25C and I have to wait 15 minutes my turn to line up.
My engine will be at ideal temp all the time but how about engine w/o
thermostat? What about long lasting idle glidings - engine w thermostat
will thank you and it get an serial orgasm.

The size of the thermostat is like a babys fist and the weight is
about 200 grams. Its price is insignificant.

> No obstructions, no thermostat, extra plumbing, fittings, etc...
> Just a good understanding of internal flow, and a well designed duct and
> flap.

That is it. The engine inside temperature should be controlable some how.
Flap assembly does the job also so and so but look at the list below:

- it is heavy (thermostat is light weight)
- it is complicated (thermostat is simple)
- it is unic hand work (thermostat is a mass serial product)
- it is hard to install (thermostat is straightforward)
- it tooks space and you have not it too much w Europa (thermostat does not)
- it needs regular service and inspections (thermostat is forgetable)
- it is expensive (thermostat is cheap)
- it is manual and you have one knob more (thermostat is automatic)
- it is not always in ideal position, because it is pilot operated
(thermostat is always in ideal position, no steps)
- when broken, it can happen in closed position and it stays closed
(thermostat stays open when broken but that situation happens
almost never - they are highreliable)
- when starting, cold water is cooling your engine harmly instantly
(when thermostat water is not cooling the engine until necessary)

Hey we all should be experimental men! We can, we have to and
we are allowed to experiment what ever we want (at least here in Finland).

Jos and I are brave men and we have decided to test that sensational equipment:
A WATER THERMOSTAT IN A WATER COOLED ENGINE.
We promise to report later about thermostat but I am sure there is nothing to
report
exept it works well. It is so obvious. In other case I personally promise
to eat it.

Is nt that so, Jos?

Ideal Temperature Regards, Raimo