RE: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat
From: Rob Housman <robh@hyperionef.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:24:05
Well, since you asked.

I recently had to replace the thermostat in my 1995 Mazda Miata (OK, that is
a trifle older than 10 years).  Since the thing failed CLOSED I also had to
replace the radiator which burst from the pressure built up when the engine
overheated (which implies that the pressure relief feature of the radiator
cap also did not work as intended).  The car has been maintained per Mazda
recommendations.

As for failing in the open position, consider that it normally cycles with
engine temperature and therefore can jam in either the open or closed
position.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070