Re: Europa-List: Monowheel master cylinder?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Monowheel master cylinder?
From: Bob Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 07:54:33

Raimo,

If the fill opening of the master cylinder is in the pressure side of the
cylinder

and you connect the reservoir directly to it, then when you apply the brake the
pressure will force the fluid in the cylinder back into the reservoir.  Notice
that
the reservoir cap is vented.  If the reservoir is full and you apply the brake
the
fluid will be forced out the vent hole and you will only make a mess of the
area around the reservoir.

I guess you could try plugging the vent and filling the reservoir full in an
effort to contain the pressure but then you are making the plastic body a
pressure vessel.  I don't know how long the plastic would accept such
pressure cycling before it either stripped some set of threads or just cracked.

And you have a mess around the reservoir.

There will have to be some means of closing the system between the
reservoir and master cylinder.  It can be a check valve (yes similar to a
diode in an electrical sense, something similar to the check valves used
in the fuel system to provide bypass of a failed pump) or a manually
operated valve which would be open to fill the master cylinder and closed
for brake operation.  This would require a re-write of the aircraft check list
confirm close prior to engine start and open after engine shutdown.  More
complication to the operation.

Bob

On Friday, October 16, 2009, at 05:14AM, "Raimo Toivio" <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
wrote:

>Tim,
>
>I think valve is not necessary if you keep the reservoir always full-filled.
>And it is easy to keep it so (much easier like cylinder).
>Adding no-return valve is a 2nd level to enhance brake system.(I assume
>no-return-valve
is like diode for electricitet).