Re: Europa-List: Monowheel master cylinder?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Monowheel master cylinder?
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 13:01:56

Hi Bob

"One really needs some sort of valving between the
reservoir and master cylinder to allow the fluid to move back and forth
when that is necessary or seal the system for brake operation."

I never operatedmaster cylinder for my Monowith fluid
in it. I never saw a master cylinder with a fill on the pressure side of
the cylinder. Are you absolute sure the fill cap is on the pressure side?
Most master cylinders have reservoir on the "when piston is in the
home position" will allow flow in or out of a passage to charge
piston with no valve necessary,. When piston isactuated and it seals
off the charge passage.

If the factory supplied mono master
cylinder in fact has the fill on the pressure side of the piston, an easy
resolve would be a screw down arrangement. I forget the exact term,
perhaps it is "fake piston" or something like that, but i am
refering to a model aeroplane diesel. You see you can't start one with
full compression, so you unscrew an arrangement on top and it lowers
compression, once engine is running you screw it in to increase
compression. You don't want any leaks, they figured it out so they don't
leak. PAW is one mfg going down toI think as samll as .030
cubic inches. Anyway idea could be to either use actual model
cylinder, or make a piston that you can screw down and decrease volume, or
make an arrangement that does so. In other words it would be another mini
master cylinder. Worn brakes tighten, new brakes loosen. You can install
on filler of factory master cylinder or "T" it off anywhere
brake line.
I remember seeing a hang glider tow arrangement, it used
an automotive brake disk, and an average run of the mill automotive master
cylinder. The disc was attached to the rope spool. The operator could
increase or decrease tension (there was a pressure gauge) by screwing a
"T" handled screw in or out that actuated the master cylinder
instead of ones foot pushing on the lever.
Anyway think of the
easiest way to squeeze, or unsqueeze the tube of toothpaste so you don't
need complex valving. Perhaps a few components from a very simple bicycle
master cylinder?
Ron Parigoris