Re: Europa-List: Monowheel master cylinder?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Monowheel master cylinder?
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 12:38:23
Wow,
Not to throw rain on the parade, but the brake system is simple.  Graham
and Jim Naylor are nicely saying it but I'll be the bad guy.

I hate my original Europa Master Cylinders but they are simple and
light.
Europa supplies a threaded aluminum filler that works like Jim Naylor's.
 Open the plug, screw it in and fill the cylinder.  If you have a bubble
still in the brake due to it's angle, take out the holding screws and
lean the cylinder to allow that bubble to escape (normally not necessary
for floor mount).  This works great for the typical fill when the pads
are wearing thin maintenance operations.

As for bleeding.
I bleed from the bottom up using a syringe filled with the appropriate
fluid and push it up to the top.  I get real lazy and put a 1/4 inch
silicone rubber tube in the threaded hole (it seals around the threads
well enough) and run the silicone tube to a cup under the wheel well to
allow overflow to come out of the master fill cap and travel down to the
cup via the inside of the wheel well.  This way I can monitor how I'm
doing.  When you pull the tube out, the fluid level in the cylinder is
topped off automatically.   For the floor mounted brakes, I pull the
carpet (just in case) and put the silicone tube in and run it vertical
out a small hole in the pilots footwell.

Another thing.  Europa supplies a buna brake seal that works great, just
in case you forgot to install it originally or it has worn.  You must
have them if using mil spec fluids.

Brake bleed kit funnel is about $15
Buna Seals:  O-ring BS113 and the brake cup N7193  (trigear) are about
the same price.
These seals are great, and with the filler makes for a no drip system
(OK, some, because I have never bled brakes without a mess of some sort
on the floor).
Just email Roger at Europa and save some engineering time.

As Jim eludes to the fact, it's pretty simple as is, and Graham notes
there are many other concerns when trying to mod these particular
cylinders for a reservoir.  If you must have a reservoir, go to a
regular Matco or similar master cylinder and save the engineering time
as it is already done for you.

Just my thoughts.

Bud