Re: Tailplane to root fairing alignment, -and servo pins

Subject: Re: Tailplane to root fairing alignment, -and servo pins
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:52:19
>Better to allow the canoe to hold the
> inherent twist as it is set rather than try and take it out and put the
> airframe into permanent opposite stress.

This I have to disagree with: My jig holds the fuselage roughly at the rear
of the monowheel bay and under the tail forward of the torque tube, and is
set up to take out the twist - which does not require much force.

It'll be held straight permanently when the top is bonded on - but most of
the twist is already held out by the aft bulkhead. Releasing the aft jig
fixing with the fuselage top and tailpost pinned on reveals no change in
stab bearing freedom.

This has shown that the 2 stab stubs are different - the LHS is narrower
(top to bottom) and set back by 1/4" - so find your own bearing center, and
don't use the X molded in.

The fuselage will be faired to the LHS stab when finished (I probably won't
bother with the mismatch underneath, but just fill the LE portion back 6") -
the  RHS stab is set to match the stub, which it does nicely.

To correct a slight error in one trim tab pin I bent the T bar slightly one
way - not enough to even see it, but both tabs are now perfectly aligned.