RE: Tailplane to root fairing alignment, -and servo pins

Subject: RE: Tailplane to root fairing alignment, -and servo pins
From: Bob Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 16:25:41
Hi! Steve
You may find a little out of flush with the tail plane fairings to the tail
plane root since the
a/c is rarely seen with all controls neutral nothing lost but pride!
The angle of attack for each tail plane needs to be the same, or at least to
a close tollerance
and I can't remember it! What did piss me off was that I spent lots of time
getting 12 degrees
movement with the tailplane somewhere (to the book) don't ask me where
because I prefer to erase
such from my mind! Then Andy Draper wanted another degree on final
inspection, which meant a whole new ball agme removing about 1/4" from the
top balance weight bump stop!.

Your second item...... find your original drive pin positioning jig (Some
hope!) if not make another to suit the pins where they are. Then dremel all
the existing lay up off the surface of the drive plate, then apply a heavy
copper hot soldering iron for the full length of the plate and the heat will
release the plate so you can prise it off.  I would put the new plates in
the same place using your positioning jig, after roughing up the old bed ,
then you will need to slightly shorten the tee bar ends to allow for the
increased dimension. You'll also need to heat the tee bar to remove the
plastic inserts (carefully or you'll need new inserts !)
Happy Days !!!!!

Regards
Bob Harrison  G-PTAG