Tailplane to root fairing alignment, -and servo pins

Subject: Tailplane to root fairing alignment, -and servo pins
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 08:40:13
I have started jumping around on doing mechanical assembly of the fuselage
components/systems. It seems whenever I get into something one little item
keep me from completion so rather than wait for a part or information I go to
another part.  This week I find myself at the tail end.

Upon installing the tailplanes it appears that the angle of attack of one
is greater than the other.  This appearance stemming from the alignment of
each tailplane root with the fairing moulding of the fuselage. The port side
angle of attack looks greater when compared with the moulding on the
fuselage.  This is especially disconcerting since I had spent days many
months (years?) ago lining the left and right sides up when constructing the
tailplane assemblies.

However upon jigging up my digital level and measuring the aoa
of each tailplane to the best of my ability, I find that I am within  0.1
degree between left and right. My assumption is that the molding is off slightly

and I may have a small shape variance between the leading edge profiles near the

molding giving the appearance of highly differing angles of attack.

Has any one else seen this on their fuselage moulding? It is
disconcerting but I am not planning on changing anything as the level doesn't
read to better than 0.1 so I am within the capability  of my tools. Any
thoughts out there on this?

A second item:

I find that my left and right servo tabs are not lining up (no
not in the same direction as the apparent difference of the tailplanes noted
above!).  Though however this is a good thing as the drive pins need to
come out to implement the installation  of the beefier units that I almost
had to beg Europa to send me.  Do any of you who have performed the
retrofit have any tips or shortcuts for the swap out to to enhance
alignment.  I plan on trying to use the T bar to reset these.  Any
tips on ripping the old units out to preserve the planar alignment of the pin
plate?

Steve Hagar

A143

Mesa, AZ

(finally some good building weather, I can now leave the garage
door open)

--- Steve Hagar

--- hagargs@earthlink.net