Re: Bouncy landings

Subject: Re: Bouncy landings
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 12:15:11
The dampers are made by Alf Hagon (we used to call him Ali-Alf) who does
motorcycle dampers and in my experience the characteristics are good, the
longevity less so - I wouldn't have used them in my racing days, but I would
(and do) on the road.

There are plenty of other damper manufacturers - Ohlins being particularly
good, but there are others up to the task: it's a case of matching length,
stroke, diameter where it matters,fixings, and damping to the originals (in
good shape) - you will probably be able to specify adjustable compression
and rebound damping, and gas pressurised with a remote reservoir would be
better for a variety of reasons.

However you definitely gets what you pay for - I'd would guess a set of
Ohlins to cost more than $500, but then if they last 1000 hours (before
rebuild - unlike the hagons) and you can tailor them to really suit your
style (!) it would seem to be worth it.

Miles