Re: Europa-List: Bubble doors

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Bubble doors
From: ALAN YERLY <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 19:24:12
Frank,
Contact Europa in the UK and we can arrange the bubble glass.  I
installed it in my first Europa.  The glass is from LP Aero in the US.
Cost was slightly higher than the original glass, but for you in Europe,
shipping will be nearly as expensive.  There is no speed penalty to
speak of and no turbulence.  I enjoyed the ability to look back farther
and have another inch of headroom with my too thick cushions installed.

I now have a tri-gear Classic with original gold glass.  I am 70 inches
tall and it sounds like you have a high sitting height.  Normally, leg
room is a problem in the classic for folks of your height.  Do follow
the suggestions offered by the others such as:  First, look to cut down
the blue foam under the cushion flat with the torque tube cover running
down the center of the seat floor.  Then, remove the rear cushion and
see how the headroom is.  You can gain a lot of comfort by leaning back
and making the back cushion thinner.  My lower cushion is only 1.5
inches of foam hollowed out in the area where I sit to about 1 inch.
How I do the hollowing out is open the lower cushion and carve out some
of the foam from the bottom of the foam pad until I get my butt where it
needs to be and still have adequate tailbone cushion.  Be sure to leave
the upper part of the foam cushion intact, so when you get out of the
plane, the cushion springs back to shape.  My back cushion is 1 inch at
my back and to the top of the headrest.  Where the seat back area goes
vertical to the floor near the pins my cushion fills the void and bows
out to fill the gap in my back and give lumbar support.  This gives me
nearly 2 inches before my head hits the glass, if I lean a little right,
nearly 4 inches of head room.  Finally, a headset with the thinnest pad
is a must for a guy as tall as you.

Enjoy your plane.
Bud Yerly,
Custom Flight Creations,