Re: Cockpit cooling

Subject: Re: Cockpit cooling
From: James H. Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 16:01:01
Yes, it is 1-1/2" deep  (From the cowl rebate toward the windshield). and
5" wide. The hinge bolts are flat head and reside in the cowl rebate so
you can not see them unless you remove the cowl.  The other half of the
hinge is attached to the vent itself.  That along with the reverse naca
vent keep air moving through the airplane nicely and keep it cooler. Your
PFA are like a bunch of old women.  They think they know but really are
bureaucrats (spelling) that want the world perfect with no possibility of
failure and have to come begging to them to let you do something like add
the cooling vent in front of the windscreen.. I'm sorry but I just hate
bureaucracys and the stupidity they personify.  Learning comes from
failure but in this case, an opening of this size properly floxed around
the edges, as it should, be very strong.  Remember that the windscreen is
a structural member and any small opening like this will not effect the
strength of the whole area.  When it fails, the forces necessary to do so
will  be so high that you won't care as you will be room temperature.  A
bit forward as most Americans are but when you get down to brass tacks,
this is so minor that it is not worth all the words spent on it.  The
structure of the Europa is very strong and it is attested to by several
people who have had unplanned contact with the ground.  The structure, in
comparison to other aircraft, is stronger and more able to protect the
occupants.  Then again its only my opinion as I have not done structural
analysis on the fuselage.  But, just look at the crashes that have
occurred and it speaks for itself.

              Jim Nelson

              N15JN