Re: Cockpit cooling

Subject: Re: Cockpit cooling
From: Kevin Taylor <kevin@eastyorkshire.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 23:47:06
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 23:19:33 GMT
Subject: Majordomo results: get-immediate forum archive/forum.200208
From: majordomo-owner@europaclub.org.uk

Bob,

Sorry we missed each other.....

Glad you liked the plane. Not in keeping with the traditional colour but
never the less a bit different!

The panel is loaded although Im not convinced some of the gadgets are
required. I suspect its a bit slow in comparison with other trigears
although Im hoping the speed kit will just finish it off and give it a few
knots more.

I did some fuel consumption test and it was something like.

90 knots 12l hour
100 knots 14l hour
110 knots 17l hour

I have found 100 to be comfortable quiet and economical. I could get even
better if I leaned it as suggested towards the top of the green arc but Im
sticking with rich is cool and kind to the engine.

As for the engine well its a suck it and see job really. There is a history
with the engine. This is its second one the first only lasted 160 hours!
After 100 hours the new engine was stripped for inspection and alleged to be
badly coked up.  It was sent to a car racing engine place who put new valves
and guides in it coated with something super strong? The opinion appears to
be that Avgas is not good for what is after all a bog standard car block,
but shouldn't be a problem now with the new valves??. Unleaded may be a
better option for it but I need to do some digging to find out what mods are
required. I am pleased with the colour of the plus so at the moment im not
intending to do anything radically different. I have a note in the log that
says no mogas until a mod is done via the PFA. At the end of the day I am
going to take as I find and if I do have to change the engine then fair
enough, the price I paid for the plane allows for this.

Power is good smooth etc. It runs as sweet as a nut. Unbelievably quiet they
tell me from the ground only prop noise. In the cockpit it pretty quiet too,
once on fully course it purrs along at 3000-3400 rpm and T&Ps are rock
steady. The up side of the Subaru is the spares from the car dealers. 2 for
rocker cover caskets etc. Down side is the weight and the nagging thought
that when I do have a problem I cant readily find someone to help me out as
per a Rotax.

Thanks Bob I did get the message and the previous owner advised me he has
recently done them and apologised for not having time to re do the creep
marks. Which bit wears the inner or the outer? On those it looks like the
inner is worn. It hopefully shouldn't be as bad for me based on Grass. Ill
stick some new ones one I think soon.

Goodness I have a lot to learn I don't even know which side of the tyres
wear! Wish I had the time to build one and I knew what I was flying and
talking about. 2 weeks ive had it now and done 12 hours and loved every dam
second!!

Best regards see you soon Im sure

Kev T