Re: First Flight

Subject: Re: First Flight
From: James H. Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 15:54:47
Bob,
        It's s/n A058 and the tail number is N15JN.    Its a classic
updated to XS spec.'s  I extended the foot well on the pilots side and
used the XS engine mounting with XS cowl.  Also did the tail wheel mod
amongst many mod's.  Its nice to watch it leave the runway and climb
upward to the empty sky.  I did have a small problem.  One of the
carburetor vent hoses that vents to the plenum came off the carb.  This
caused the test pilot to have a rough running engine every time he
lowered the power.  It would smooth out after 20 to 40 seconds.  Left him
puzzled.  So back on the ground I took the cowling off and found the port
vent line disconnected.  I pushed it back on and used a bit of safety
wire and wrapped it around the tubing to keep it from coming off.  Back
to the sky I gestured and Lee took off and it runs very nicely.  Lee says
it stalls around 55 with plenty of rumbling around 60 to let you know its
unhappy.  When it stalls there is no discernable wing drop so I must have
got both wings at the same incidence.  I'll get checked out next weekend
if the wx is good and then its mine........

              Jim Nelson

              N15JN