Re: Looking down the road at batteries

Subject: Re: Looking down the road at batteries
From: Shaun Simpkins <shauns@hevanet.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 07:33:06
The 16AH hour minimum quoted on the Europa factory schematic is Rotax'
recommended
minimum battery size for the 914 (section 9.4.14).

Note also that available power is not the full 18A; according to section
19.5, the maximum
Typical for each
pump is 2A; the TCU, probably about 0.15A; the rest are intermittent.  So at
best, we have
perhaps 15A available to us.  Airmaster CS prop loads are also intermittent.

Another consideration is the battery charging capacity of the system.  I
believe the FAA rule of
thumb is that 20% of the alternator capacity should be reserved for
charging.
Your personal specs may differ, but this is another 3.6A off the top.

Thus, the 18A alternator is able to power about 11A of external loads with
charging reserves.
That's what basic electric gyros, VFR nav/comm,  xnpndr, and engine monitor
will eat up.

Incidentally, this thread was last active in late 2000.  Check out the
archives.  Many are running
heavy electrical loads on the factory alternator, but probably with very
small charging reserves.

Shaun