Re: Looking down the road at batteries

Subject: Re: Looking down the road at batteries
From: LTS <lts@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:05:48

However some batteries last much longer than others. We've been selling
so called pure lead RG batteries for around six years. My original
customer is still using his 13 amphr model on his C90 engine. However
some people seem only to get around 18 months out of their batteries and
they don't appear to fly more hours and claim they don't do anything to
damage the batteries.

We have found two things which upset these modern lightweight batteries.

1    Leaving on the master switch. We recently had a battery returned to
us at under 5 volts with no mechanical damage. The owner claimed it was
working fine and he took it off to re-charge. Batteries in general don't
just drop to 5 volts and don't recover easily from this condition. If
you do leave the master switch on then get the battery onto a charger
(or get your engine running) as soon as possible. Leaving them
discharged kills them.

If it wont re-charge give your supplier a call. The distributor we use
can often recover their batteries if over discharged but the sooner they
get them the more likely they are to succeed. The charge (no pun
intended) for this service is 20 + VAT and shipping.

2    Undercharging leads to poor starting and short battery life. If
your charging voltage is too low then the battery is never going to
perform at its best and will die young. The manufacturer we use
recommends 14.4 volts.

Well maintained batteries should last five years even the small ones we
sell for use on Rotax engines. We are currently preparing to test a 4
amphr battery weighing less than 2 kgs on a 912S engine. You can't
expect the same life out of a small battery because it is being worked
harder, that is the percentage amount of discharge and re-charge is
higher. Providing the weight is OK we normally recommend our 14 amphr
battery as a good compromise on 912 / 912S and Jabiru 2.2 engines.

We have just done a new care sheet on our batteries. If anybody wants a
copy just send me an Email and I'll send a .pdf file.

regards

Jerry

      Ahr
     kg