Re: Looking down the road at batteries

Subject: Re: Looking down the road at batteries
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 22:10:45
Jim Thursby wrote:

> Everyone seems to be forgetting that the 914 Rotax already has redundant
> electrical systems. It has an alternator and it has a magneto that will
> operate the fuel pump and minimal electrics in the event of alternator
> failure.

That's true, but it's not enough redundancy as FAA defines it, Jim.
If you ever get "smoke in the cockpit," the only choice is kill the
master switch, taking out the battery if you wisely have a master
contactor.  Then it's just luck that the initiating event that caused
the smoke isn't a failed regulator.  If it is, the engine will then
quit.  I don't know the probability of that happening, but it's
significant that the 914 fuel setup with single electrical system just
can't be certified except on a homebuilt.

Homebuilts have more than twice the accident rate due to mechanical
failure than production aircraft, whose average age is now 30 years
and airframe time in accident aircraft is almost 5,000 hours.
Kitplanes by themselves are better than plans-built, but still have a
surprising number of problems due to system failures (fuel/electric),
builder errors, and modifications.

Regards,