Re: Looking down the road at batteries

Subject: Re: Looking down the road at batteries
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 14:54:52
 I have a PA30 with generator and they will not produce power at
> idle, where an alternator at the same RPM will -- idle. I think you will
> get  the full output on the rotax -- especially at the higher RPM of a geared
> engine.

Shaun did quite a bit of research into this earlier this year. The B&C 20A
alternator fitted to the vacuum pump drive will only output 40% of its rated
output at the cruise speed of the Rotax engine and, as he said earlier today,
it's a lot of weight just to add 8A of backup power. The vacuum drive on the
Rotax runs quite a bit slower than the Lycon equivalent despite the fact that
the engine runs faster.

One does of course wonder why Rotax did this!

Tony

ps Free accommodation in Auckland for anyone who enjoys sanding :-)