Re: Looking down the road at batteries

Subject: Re: Looking down the road at batteries
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 21:28:40
Shaun Simpkins wrote:

> Bob did make the point that the smaller the battery, the more frequent the
> load checking to avoid dead battery in air syndrome.  B&C do not quote CCA
> on their website, and I've asked them to provide such information for
> comparison.

I should add I have a goof my original post.  Cold cranking amps (CCA)
per U.S. standard is 30 seconds, at 0-deg F, to maintain at least 7.2
volts.  Be careful that any comparison spec is under that test.  Wicks
Aircraft sells one which claims "triple the cranking power," a
phenomenal 925 "cranking amps."  Dimension-wise and weight, it's about
the same as a 25 AH aircraft battery.  Pure flim-flam.  OTOH, Gill
Battery, on their G-25 (25 AH), says 225 CCA, 0F, 7.2V, but in a 60
second test.  I don't know if that's preferred/required for aircraft
batts, but on a 30 test seconds she's probably up toward 400 CCA.

Regards,
Fred F.