Re: Looking down the road at batteries

Subject: Re: Looking down the road at batteries
From: Shaun Simpkins <shauns@hevanet.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 07:02:09
Thanks for providing a working point of reference, Fred.  I appreciate the
correction.

Not having the actual equipment at hand, one has to use manufacturer's
specifications, which are
often quite conservative.  I did try to approximate typicals on the engine
stuff.  And avionics power
drain is so variable...Those of you out there in love with the Garmin
430/530 must prepare for a
stuff is far more energy efficient.  For example.  And 2A typical for a fuel
pump? OWWch.

But we still have to contend with 6-8A drain for position/nav lights and
4-7A drain for strobes.
So for night flight, we'd need to add the SD-8 and call it the "night
alternator"...

On the battery front - that 7.2AH/12 RG battery sold by B&C is not
recommended by them for
cranking since the terminals are not bolt-down but fast-on and can't handle
high currents.  Backup
only.  This leaves the 20AH/12 RG battery at 15.3 lbs as the energy density
champ.  300CCA min,
-20C, 30 sec.  B&C does discharge test their batteries, 60F/10 sec/8.5V min.
I have some numbers.

Shaun