Re: Europa-List: Re: MOD 78

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: MOD 78
From: Neville Eyre <neveyre@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 14:52:40

Hi Dave,
Tows / rovings, sorry, same thing.
Cut the taper on the wet out ''rope'' and tuck it into the narrow end, smoo
th it down into the mould around the end of the spar and tuck it in the oth
er narrow end, snipping off at the angle again. With the bench set up so th
e root end of the bench is in line with the wing skin root, you can tug the
 rope along the bench directly into the mould.
17' was the length I worked out would give the least waste without having a
 bench miles long [At Europa they have a  rack of 15 spools which feed thro
ugh a wet bath of resin, this must be how they worked out you needed 15metr
es of 15 tows to do the job, can you imagine the mess trying to do that DIY
 ?]
6'' pneumatic sander is ideal, but a 9'' electric one would be too fierce,
just go softly softly so as not to create too much heat.
New spar depth shouldn't be an issue with a pure motorglider, only with Mon
o retrofits, could be resolved by changing the flap pushrod for a Teleflex
type cable, G-YURO had such originally, I could probably work something out
 if anyone needed to go that way ?
With the original root rib to spar lay up [ 6 Bids], grind them off the spa
r completely and feather them off the rib by 1'' per ply, so over a 6'' are
a. So down to 1 Bid in the corner to nothing off at 6''. Large belt sander
and a block by hand to do that, you will see the ''tide mark'' of shiny res
in at the end of each ply as you sand through. Scuff sand past that and whe
n you replace those lay ups, finish on the spar as per Manual, and start th
e lay ups on the rib 9'' from the spar with a 1'' stagger so the last of th
e 6 plies is 3'' from the spar.
You will find carbon dust ending up EVERYWHERE ! Do it outside and let your
 neighbours have some !
Cheers,
Nev