Re: Europa-List: Re: MOD 78

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: MOD 78
From: Neville Eyre <neveyre@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 15:57:51

Dave,
If I were doing it, I would remove the tufnol block and feather off the gla
ss on the Rib for 6'', scuff for 9'' and probably leave the fairing lay up
alone, just scuff it. Feather it best you can [ or until you get fed up ! ]
Ampreg 21 is cr*p ! Needs to be warmed well above 25 to make it thin enough
 to use. Even on hot [ for here] days I shove the can in front of a fan hea
ter.
Look in the can now, chances are if it was stored over here for a while and
 got cold it will be like porridge [ or what is that awful breakfast you gu
ys have, ''grits'' ? ] yuk ! You will have to really warm it to have the gr
its fall out of suspension, done once it will stay clear.
Ampreg 21 with std hardener is pretty well useless to use, flashes off in t
he pot, then takes an age to cure on the job, at least with the slow harden
er, even when you have warmed the resin, you have a reasonable time to get
it on the job, still mix it in small quantities, and dump it into a roller
tray for use with the roller.
Keeping the resin warm, and perhaps the wetting out bench with a fan heater
 blowing over it will let you be able to wet out the cloth OK, once you hav
e done the lay ups, and peel plied them, being at 15C for a while until it
starts to cure won't be a problem.Then make up some sort of fireproof tent
/ box / duct to let you warm it to 20 + overnight with some sort of dry hea
t [ no kerosene / propane ]
Cheers,
Nev.