Europa-List: Re: MOD 78

Subject: Europa-List: Re: MOD 78
From: djaflyact <djaflyact@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 14:00:08

Thanks for the inputs. I got the idea to use the "intensifier board" as a
template
to check the clearance with the tank and all inside the airplane. Also, the
mold metal needs to be fixed tightly to the wood part as if I use it now, the
spar will be slightly larger. There is a small gap in places. I will be very
careful with this to make sure it works.

I've flown it for 10 years now. I don't think it has the 27 to 1 glide ratio,
but
possibly 24:1. It certainly is a better option for safety when flying over
the mountains. I can plan my flights to always be able to make it to an airport.
My best flight in thermals near Minden has been climbing from 9,000 to 16,300
feet. I could have gone higher, but it was time to land. The biggest problem
with the airplane is parking it at a transient airport. The wing span has been
an issue at times. It will fit in a tiedown, but I have had issues with some
airport managers about parking it.

It has gone through a series of avionics changes over the years - starting with
vacuum gyros and ending up with  the Dynon Skyview with a panel mounted iPad
Mini with WingX Pro and an iLevil AHRS and ADS B. Sure wish we had that
technology
in the airlines. It is frustrating to taxi in the fog as I did this morning
in Paris and not have the geo referenced airport diagram. There is a safety
possibility there that is easy for me to provide as an individual, yet I can't
use it due to the big certification issue.

Anyway - thanks for all the inputs. Onward and upward!  Dave

Read this topic online here: