RE: Europa-List: Re: Flap cross tube

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Flap cross tube
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 15:36:54
Hi Craig,

Maybe the flap tube clearance is too close a call to make at the moment.
Might have to shelve that thought for now, as one of those things that can't
be looked into until later when other things are finalized.

Sounds like a good technique with the cord for setting up the hinge mounts
on the fuselage. When potting in the center flap hinge arm a few years ago
(on the same axis as the outer hinge arms), I used the lightest stuff I
could get my hands on, to eliminate droop.  That turned out to be
monofilament fishing line. A small toothpick-like stick, which was tied to
the line, had plenty of friction to hold itself in place under tension, on
the back side of the hinge, with the line going through the exact center of
the holes on the outer edges of the flap. Used eyeball and painted the
fishing line in the area it went through the holes, to achieve good
visibility.  Not sure how that technique will work with the fuse hinge arms
though, due to accessibility and parallax error. I might have to visit your
technique, it sounds pretty good.

I am heading down to pick up some HDPE right now  and am hoping it will work
at least as well as nylon. I think someone else here had good results.
Afraid glue won't stick to either like it does with TUFNOL, though. Might
put them on the top side of the spar hole too.  Hopefully, it will help
one-person attempts to align the wing pins so many times.  How did you
anchor in the nylon blocks, a number of screws and some glue around the
edges of the block? New thread could be started here...almost (prob too
short).

Greg F

  _____