Europa-List: Re: Flap cross tube

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Flap cross tube
From: Kelvin Weston <kelv@kdweston.biz>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 12:37:47

Greg

I take it you have the flaps hinged to the wing.

If your flaps were too short, you would have had problems aligning the flap
hinge
arms with the wing hinge plates.

As the tip or outer flap arm FL3 mounts in the centre of the outboard flap hinge
plates W21, any discrepancy in the length of the flap is visible at the flap
root. The flap arm FL1 will be slightly out of line with the wing root hinge
plate W18.

I know some are slightly out, I have looked at many Europas during my build and
have seen the inboard flap hinge arm W19 bolted to both sides of the inboard
wing plate W18.  I have also seen some W19 arms with a double bend to achieve
alignment.

If yours were reasonably lined up at the root hinge then the flaps are likely to
be ok in length.

--------
Regards

Kelv Weston