RE: Europa-List: Re: Flap cross tube

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Flap cross tube
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 15:04:52

 Kelv,
>I take it you have the flaps hinged to the wing.
Yes

I did indeed use FL3 as the reference in positioning the flap laterally.
Only about 1/4" of flange needed to be cut off the outboard side of the flap
to center FL3 between the dual flap hinge plates. I had no problem lining up
any of the hinge arms. Most lined up with zero flexing. The inboard most
hinge arms may have had a very very slight flex. It was almost perfect. I
cannot remember which side of the w18's the hinge arms bolted up to, but
both wings were symetric at the root. While setting them up, I remembered
that some builders used S-curves. I was happy to see everything line up. I
would probably re-make the flap end, before s-curving the hinge arm (just my
opinion).
As you say, it intuitively appears at least, that they are not considerably
short for sure. Little shorter than your measurement though.  Thanks for
those! Still hoping for a few more measurements to compare to..

Regards,

Greg