RE: Europa-List: Angle of Attack

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Angle of Attack
From: David DeFord <davedeford@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:41:50

> Simplest way is to feel for
> the ground with the tailwheel and as soon as it touches stick
> hard back. The plane can't pitch up so it just quits flying.

I have seen this advice from quite a few pilots, but I wonder if any of them
fly the XS, which sits at a shallower angle on the ground, and is more than
willing to keep flying at that attitude.  In addition, the long tailwheel
spring is quite flexible, and can be easily bent downward (increasing the
angle of attack) with modest force on the tailplane.  I tried the quick
"stick full back" method a few times back a couple of years ago, and was
typically rewarded with a re-launch.  I find it better to wait a second or
two after touchdown before easing the stick back.  There is still plenty of
rudder authority at that point, so you don't immediately need the strong
force on the tailwheel (but don't count on that as the airplane slows down
too much).  While the airplane can be landed guaranteed bounce-free from a
very nose-high attitude, it feels better to me to keep the nose down enough
that I don't lose sight of the far end of the runway.  What to other XS
pilots do?

Dave DeFord
N135TD