RE: Europa-List: Angle of Attack

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Angle of Attack
From: Steve Crimm <steve.crimm@stephenscott.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 23:25:29

Flight,

Over the last couple of weeks I have been taking glider lessons for my
commercial FAA glider rating in a Blanik L-13.          Training now
completed and just waiting for an examiner for a check ride.  This aircraft
is a mono-wheel like the Europa.  Flying this aircraft is very simple on the
mono-wheel in all take off and landing configurations.  Learning how to soar
for any length of time, now that is a precise science all by itself.
Balancing on the single wheel until it has lost all lift and as they like,
keeping it off the tail wheel as long as possible is very simple. Am I way
off base or is the landing and take off characteristic in these aircraft
that much different, so far as the mono-wheel characteristics or very
similar.  And the Blanik only has a 10kt crosswind limitation.  Also keeping
in mind the engine vs. no engine differences.

And one really fun piece of this training is speed brakes.  Having never
flown an aircraft with speed brakes, these are great, you can almost hang it
on final approach with a steep angle.  Lots of fun.  I believe this
experience will make me a much better Europa pilot so far as balancing on
this basketball/wheel and ground handling.  Wish I had speed brakes.

Thanks,

Steve
N42AH
A058