RE: Europa-List: Angle of attack

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Angle of attack
From: Richard Iddon <riddon@sent.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 18:09:16

Paul,

On a slight tangent but still relevant, Mark Burton (Tri-gear G-NEAT) is
developing a 'talking air speed indicator' which relays your airspeed
via your headset leaving you free to concentrate on your approach with
your head out of the cockpit.  Sounds like a great idea to me and a good
aid to getting the approach right.

His company is Smart Avionics and the gadget is to be known as an Air
Speed Speaker (ASS) hence a 'smartass'

Don't know how near he is to putting the gadget on sale but details can
be found on http://www.smartavionics.com/

Richard Iddon

G-RIXS

Subject: Europa-List: Angle of attack

<paul@theatkinsons.demon.co.uk>

Hi all,

After flying my mono wheel for 340 hours with various C of G's and
weights
I an
still surprised at how differently the aircraft behaves on landing.

I find that the amount of power needed in the flair can be from very
little to
quite a lot if I want to bring it over the numbers at 55 knots with not

too much
sink, and although I am getting good at judging the various situations,

occasionally
I still get it wrong and I am rewarded with a bounce on landing.

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has an AoA fitted to their
Europa,
and are
they finding the lift reserve a good indicator to help get that "perfect

10"
on every touch down ?  If anyone has some experience I would be
interested
in
hearing from them.

Thanks,