Europa-List: Angle of Attack

Subject: Europa-List: Angle of Attack
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:22:07

From: "josok" <josok-e@ukolo.fi>

Since i am a very green pilot, and do only dream about flying my Europa, please
do not take this attempt too serious. I am flying the club's Supercub, and
especially
on skies it asks for a fixed, 60 miles final, and because of the white-out,
you only set the descent rate at about 100 ft/min. The variable in this
quotation is the settle down point of course. But since there are no numbers
on these very long and very white runways, it does not matter. In my dreams i
land the Europa the same way. Nail the speed on final, and set the descent rate
at an agreeable speed. Why would this work or not work?

Jos
In the flare, or rather when very close to the ground,last foot, the tailplane
loses the effect of the downwash from the wing. This is ground effect of course.
The result is that unless you do something about it, the nose will drop and
you will bounce. As soon as you feel this nose drop pull the stick back quickly
to prevent it.
Simplest way is to feel for the ground with the tailwheel and as soon as it
touches
stick hard back. The plane can't pitch up so it just quits flying.
Graham