Re: Europa-List: Angle of Attack

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Angle of Attack
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 23:18:11

Paul McAllister,
            My model is yet not flying, but am banking on a brilliant method
of I believe Graham Clarke (no longer flying). His solution was to add a
last stage to a Dutch-kit "back-up" warning device which utilized
sub-audible tones to reflect the distance to an object (ostensibly when
backing up a vehicle).
            Instead of turning on a light (or beeping) when an adjusted
distance remains, the last stage translates the returning signal to a
sliding tone. This tone slides down in frequency from about 5 feet above
ground to about 5 inches - the speed of the slide an indication of the speed
of approach to the surface.
            I have installed the original Jim Franz AoA* with last stage
addition and combined it with the audio 'radar' tone so that I can bring the
plane into close approach to ground at the ideal angle of attack to land
accurately. The AoA is no dial (it's no time to be watching a clock) but as
vertical 2inch 'tower' of Leds, changing colour from green (safe) to orange
(critical) to red (Stalled), just as the wheel get near the ground - thus
preventing bounces and assuring fully stalled condition and tailwheel
authority on touchdown. The Led tower is in the instrument coaming in full
view of the landing picture, so I don't have to watch airspeed but can
listen to my height and adjust as I watch the runway with the AoA in sight.
            I also think I can safely acquire personal experience which will
reduce dependence on A0A/'radar' approach as time goes on.
            details on demand
Ferg A064
PS: My experience is that classic Europa will not  permit bounces for fear
of losing rudder authority in a bounce - Go Around is the only answer. I
believe this............