Re: Europa-List: Angle of Attack

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Angle of Attack
From: BEBERRY@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:21:51

Talk of Speed brakes (air brakes or what ever you like to call them)  - I
find it strange that Europas and similar aircraft are not so fitted,  which
would

not take much cost or effort.  The advantages would be  tremendous and would
virtually nullify the landing Aoa problems that have  been the subject of
recent discussion.

Any pure jet aircraft performs best at high level and therefore stays  up
there as along as possible, hence the need for a quick descent at the  end of a

sortie.  Airbrakes are essential and I used them for years  for this purpose.

Advantages - much shorter and easier landings. Quick descents.  Ability to
make a good landing from a too high approach.   Ability to land over high
obstacles. etc - there must be more!

Disadvantages ... Nil.

Patrick