Re: Secret to knife trimming

Subject: Re: Secret to knife trimming
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@intercept.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 08:51:46
I discovered early on that attemptiing to cut at the "green stage" did
more harm than good. Just get a good night's sleep and let the layup
cure. A hack saw blade does a fine job.

A point that nobody seems to have raised (except Fred), is the problem
of histermine reaction. Being sensitised, I found that the fine dust
created when sanding cured laminiate is just as agressive as raw
hardener.

I use a good quality woodworkers smoothing plane to trim the fully cured
edges (wing,
flaps, ailerons, tailplane, tabs etc.). This creates harmless shavings
that drop to the floor, not dust that floats around the atmosphere.
It has that added advantage of producing wonderfully clean, straight
edges, and costs a lot less than an equivalent Permagrit block.

Nigel (147)