Re: Secret to knife trimming

Subject: Re: Secret to knife trimming
From: JLW <jeffw@telebyte.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:31:39
Absolutely correct.  Timing is everything!  If the timing is correct, it is
very easy to do a beautiful job.  There is a point in time for the curing
process that the lay-up is quite stiff, but can be cut very cleanly with a
utility knife.  I end up with cuts that require almost no sanding, or filing at
all.  Just beautiful straight cuts.  Also, the direction of the cut is
important.  Always cut toward the surface the lay-up in on, using the edge of
the surface.

I usually do a two stage process.  After a few hours  (maybe 4 or 5?) I cut the
bulk off with the scissors.  Then I go out hourly and test for the proper
cutting results.  If the epoxy clogs the utility knife, even a brand new one,
you are too early.

    Jeff