RE: Secret to knife trimming

Subject: RE: Secret to knife trimming
From: Rick Sivier <rick.sivier@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 03:56:02
I've found that a hooked, carpet-trimming blade works well as long as you
wipe it clean with MEK between each cut to ensure that it stays sharp and
clean.  The main problem is catching the lay-up at the right time.  Often I
will do a lay-up in the afternoon and it is still not quite ready for a
knife trim when I go to bed and then I would resort to the Dremel with the
permagrit wheel in the morning.  You need to be a bit careful with the
Dremel - make sure that the wheel is grinding the fibres down against the
supporting edge or you can easily lift them, resulting in a rather ragged
edge.

Regards

Rick