Re: Secret to knife trimming

Subject: Re: Secret to knife trimming
From: Graham Higgins <ghiggins@norex.com.au>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:24:51
In addition to all that has been posted, I found knife trimming is the
simplest, quickest and easiest way to trim, if you get it right. Timing is
indeed critical. If it binds on the blade, it needs more time.I used an
ordinary Stanley knife, and kept it sharp with a fine rubstone. I also used
just enough of the tip of the blade to penetrate the thickness of the
layup,cut very close to the foam support, and kept the offcut away from the
blade with my left hand as I progressed. I then sanded the edge after full
cure. It really does feel like cutting leather. All other methods involved
more work and time - it is a trick worth the effort to learn.