Re: Secret to knife trimming

Subject: Re: Secret to knife trimming
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:15:10
> I'll agree with the relative mess from the Permagrit.  The big problem with
> knife
trimming, IMHO, is timing it right so you are either a) home, or b) awake
when the "time is right".  I've done some sweet knife trims, but always find
myself either in bed or out and about, missing the key time to trim.  So, I gave
up and just break out the Dremel now.   I'm surprised I haven't burned the
thing up yet.  I've had it too hot to hold a few times sawing away through
multiple
layers of glass.

> Chris
> A159

I agree with you and everything else posted on this.  Except that nice
fresh single-edge razor blades are less sensitive to "sweet spot" cure
time than a utility knife, up to about 3 cloth layers and if you start
her with a slight sawing motion.  I've usually resorted to just a hack
saw blade, no handle really needed.  Just watch the tooth orientation
relative to whether pressure is on up or down stroke, so you don't
pull the layup away from the underlayment.  Needn't worry about
accuracy, as you can just swipe it down with a sanding spline, which
need be no more than sandpaper wrapped around a chunk of 2 x 2 lumber.

I learned the hard way, that if you don't don the gloves, 'cause it's
only a stupid aileron trailing edge (cost of nitrile gloves was
cutting into the beer money; latex no good, vinyl marginal), there's
still enough toxic crap at the "rubber stage" there you can get
annoying/painful skin reaction several days later.  Hence, my hacksaw
blade drill -- whenever convenient -- after cure.

Regards,
Fred F., A063