Europa-List: Angle of Attack

Subject: Europa-List: Angle of Attack
From: Colin John Howard Richardson <cjh.richardson@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:09:13

Hi Fergus, and others.

A wing will stall at the same angle of attack (AoA) at any weight, provided the
wing configuration (i.e. flap setting etc) is the same.

This is why an AoA gauge is so useful for carrier-borne aircraft who probably
have
an approach speed nearer the stall than other aircraft. In the F4 Phantom
we used to approach at approx. 1.18 times the stall speed ( as opposed to 1.3
Vs) and we used the AoA to give the correct margin above the stall.

If you use the same AoA on the approach, you will have a higher approach speed
at a higher weight and vice versa. You therefore do not have to calculate your
weight to give a correct speed, you fly the correct AoA on the approach,as
stipulated
in the Flight Manual.

This will give you a higher approach speed at heavy weights and a slower speed
at lighter weights.

regards to all

John Richardson
Tri-gear G-BXGG (not built by me), 912S.