Europa-List: Fwd: Re: Cooling issues XS 914 on the ground

Subject: Europa-List: Fwd: Re: Cooling issues XS 914 on the ground
From: Roland <schmidtroland@web.de>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2016 12:53:38

A little "progress" report:

I closed and sealed the gap between the upper edge of the air inlet and the top
of the cooling tunnel and made two 2-hours flights (one low at 2500 ft and the
other one high at FL 110). It was - of no avail. Actually I achieved the
opposite,
namely CHTs of 100C in the cruise instead of 95C (decreasing veeery reluctant
in the descent) and also higher oil temperatures, reaching almost 130C
in the climb at MTOM 90 KIAS.

I was at the Fly in at Wyk/Fhr EDXY and met two other Europa owners, of which
one
had a Trigear. I thoroughly inspected his cowling and cooling tunnel, which
was a whole lot different to mine. He had a separate opening in the lower
cowling
under the radiator for the oil cooler and three additional openings with
gills (similar style as the ones on the sides of the upper cowling) on top of
the cowling just in front of the windscreen. If we meet again I'll make a ground
run with his upper cowling that is easily exchangeable.

Every Europa is different indeed - and I'll go on experimenting - maybe I should
make the  inspection doors on the upper cowling controllable from inside the
cockpit for ground operations (a lot of hot air exits them after shut down, when
I open them) - I guess I would be the first with that one :-)

Roland
PH-ZTI
XS TG 914

Read this topic online here: