Europa-List: Fwd: Re: Cooling issues XS 914 on the ground

Subject: Europa-List: Fwd: Re: Cooling issues XS 914 on the ground
From: Roland <schmidtroland@web.de>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 12:42:19

Bud, that is really amazing. How can it be, that you can make 25 minutes of
ground
operations at 95F in a tailwind with a standard setup? OTOH my CHT also drops
immediately several C when changing from climb into a cruise setting. But
when I landed after a 2 hrs cruise flight last weekend and reached the parking
position in a brisk tailwind the CHT rose literally one C every second.

Overheating with the XS cowling is quite common, even in middle Europe. David
Joyce
or Frans Veldmann or the Scandinavian Europa owner I met last weekend can
tell a story. Because of that issues many many Europa owners made their own -
sometimes radical - modifications and because of that Neville Eyre designed a
better cowling with a lower air inlet. When I walked along the parked
Rotax-powered
aircraft at the fly in last weekend, there wasn't even one of them with
a cooling duct similar to the Europa.....

Today I sealed a gap of 1 mm between the tunnel and the radiator. I also managed
to increase the gap between the tunnel edge and the firewall (which is
completely
in front of the gear frame). As I said, I removed the sealing between the
upper tunnel edge and the cowling again because it increased CHT. Removing the
thermostat is still on my to do list.

I'm afraid no pictures at the moment, although the size is within the allowed
limits.

Regards
Roland

Read this topic online here: