Re: Europa-List: Re: Battery Questions

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Battery Questions
From: Kevin Klinefelter <klinefelter.kevin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 18:21:25

Atta Boy Fred,
I went with a second alternator on the 914 and one PC680. I have our Subaru
Legacy
fitted with a PC680, so when I pull the battery every two years out of the
Europa, it goes in the car for two years. Just about the time the car seems to
crank a little slower in cold weather, it's two years are up.
 Kevin

On Oct 21, 2013, at 8:32 AM, Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com> wrote:

> This is an issue I've spent a lot of time on recently as I endeavor to ensure
safe flight following an alternator failure in my totally electrically dependent
MPEFI engine. Much of that time has been spent on the AeroElectric-list @
matronics which I've found to be an excellent source of
information...particularly
for one who is an electrical neophyte.

> One of the things I've learned is that a battery's (available) cranking power
says nothing about it's ability to provide sustained power when there's a
significant
load. Don't assume that just because it could start the engine it has
an ample reserve of amps to be drawn upon.

> In my case, the total draw of fuel pump, ECU, fuel injectors, and coils is
> between
10 and 11 amps...add to that the draw for minimal components on an endurance
bus (intercom, xpndr, some minimal cockpit lighting, etc.).

> At this point as I continue to refine a basic circuitry diagram, among other
things, I will have 2 Odyssey 680s wired as one, and will replace one at some
interval (either annually, bi-annually, or at some interval as experience
dictates)
in order to raise the level of probability that alternator failure will
be a low pucker factor event.